Farm Diversification under PPS21 - CTY 11Due to the recent difficulties in the farming industry there has been an increasing desire by some farmers to diversify into another area. To do this you may be considering a new business running alongside your farming business or a new venture altogether.If you are considering changing the use of a farm building or if you are intending to change the use of farmland, you may require planning permission. Although a grant or form of funding may be provided from another body for the proposal you wish to implement, it does not necessarily follow that planning permission will be granted.Under Planning Policy 21, planning permission will be given for a farm diversification scheme that can be run in conjunction with the normal activities on the farm.This policy is designed to promote sustainable types of diversification in the countryside that include...Read More
CTY 10 –Sites / Dwellings on a FarmUnder the new Planning Policy, one dwelling is permitted on a farm every 10 years (applies from 2008 on).The Planning Service has conceded that there is still a need for new dwellings on farms to accommodate both those engaged in the farm business and others who live in the rural community.To help minimise impact on the character and appearance of the landscape these dwellings are to be located and grouped close with an established group of farm buildings.New houses on farms will not be acceptable unless the existing farming business is both established and active for at least a period of 6 years. The applicant will therefore be required to provide the farm’s DARD business ID number along with other evidence to prove active farming over the required period.Important facts about Dwellings on a Farm:    Active Farm Business /...Read More
CTY 8 – Infill Sites / Gap SitesPlanning applications will be permitted for the development of a small gap site sufficient only to accommodate up to a maximum of two houses within an otherwise substantial and continuously built up frontage and provided this respects the existing development pattern along the frontage in terms of size, scale, siting and plot size and meets other planning and environmental requirements.The definition of a substantial and built up frontage includes a line of 3 or more buildings along a road frontage without accompanying development to the rear.This has been reduced from a minimum of 6 and therefore brings forward many more opportunities for development as there are many instances in the countryside with 3 houses in a row with a small gap field between.In certain circumstances it may also be acceptable to consider the infilling of such a small gap...Read More
CTY 4 – Barn Conversions in Northern IrelandAs can be seen in any rural area there are a range of older buildings in the countryside, including some that have been listed, that are no longer needed for their original purpose.These can include school houses, churches and older traditional barns and outbuildings. The reuse and conversion of these types of buildings represent a sustainable approach to development and reuse of existing buildings in the countryside.This applies to agricultural buildings that have a residential style construction i.e. masonry / stone walls with existing openings.Planning permission will be granted to proposals for the conversion and adaptation if necessary, of a suitable non-residential building such as disused barns for a variety of alternative uses, including use as a single dwelling or several residential units. Such proposals will be required to be...Read More
CTY 3 – Replacement DwellingsPlanning permission may be granted for a replacement dwelling where the dwelling to be replaced exhibits the essential characteristics of a dwelling and as a minimum all external structural walls are substantially intact.In cases where a dwelling has recently been destroyed, for example, through an accident or a fire, planning permission may be granted for a replacement dwelling. Evidence about the status and previous condition of the building and the cause and extent of the damage must be provided.The replacement of existing dwellings is important to the renewal and up-grading of the rural housing stock.All permissions for a replacement dwelling granted under this policy will be subject to a condition requiring demolition of the existing dwelling or restricting its future use if it is to be retained as part of the overall development scheme.Important...Read More
CTY 2a – New Dwellings in Existing ClustersThis is a new category introduced in the final publication of PPS21 and allows for a dwelling to be applied for at an existing cluster of development provided all the following points are met:    The cluster of development lies outside of a farm and consists of four or more buildings, excluding buildings such as garages, outbuildings and open sided buildings of which at least three are dwellings.    The cluster appears as a visual entity in the local area    The cluster is associated with a focal point such as a social / community building/facility, or is located at a cross-roads etc.    The site provides a suitable degree of enclosure and is bounded on at least two sides with other development in the building cluster.    The site can integrated into the existing...Read More