NI Planning Permission for Farm Buildings

You do not always need planning permission to carry out development on a farm holding.
Certain development on a farm holding is deemed to be permitted development. This includes works for the erection, extension or alteration of a building which are reasonably necessary for the purposes of agriculture.

However the development must comply with certain requirements set out in the relevant legislation.
Generally speaking planning permission is not required for changes to the inside of buildings, or for small alterations to the outside (e.g. the installation of an alarm box).

For most other types of development and changes of use you will generally need to apply for planning permission.
Contact FmK to discuss your own specific project.
New farm buildings and extensions to farm buildings

If you are intending to construct a new building associated with your farm or an extension to existing farm buildings you should first consider whether or not planning permission is required.

There are several rules defining agricultural permitted development and whether planning permission is required for you new farm building or extension.
Further rules in relation to building or excavations associated with the slurry tanks and manure silos also apply.
Basic Rules: Planning Permission NOT required if:

  •     Must have an Agricultural Holding of greater than half a Hectare (one & half acres)
  •     Active farming for min 6years also
  •     Building max 12m High (3m in parts of Crumlin)
  •     Max 75m from Existing Farm Buildings (your own)
  •     Min 75m from Neighbouring Dwelling
  •     Max Area of: 500m2 / 5382sqft (every 2 years)
  •     Min 9m from middle of minor road/24m all other roads
  •     The First Farm Building requires Planning Permission & limited to 300m2 / 3230sqft max

FMK also specialise in Farm Buildings for the Farm Business Improvement Scheme (FBIS) offering the full range of services that this scheme requires.

Contact FmK to discuss your own specific project and whether you require planning permission.

Change of use (diversification)

Click here for PPS21 Farm Diversification